The ministry does not charge individuals a fee to become a registered apprentice, however, apprentices are required to pay the annual Ontario College of Trades membership fee ($60).
There could be additional costs with regards to the in-school portion for some trades. For more information please see:
- OCOT Member Application Guide for Apprentice Applicants (pdf)
- Post Secondary Education vs. Apprenticeship Costs (pdf)
- Tuition Tax Credit for Certification Examination Fees
- Budget 2011 extended eligibility for the Tuition Tax Credit to all occupational, trade and professional examination fees, where the examination is required to obtain a professional status, or certification or licence in a trade, that is recognized by federal or provincial statute and allows the individual to practice the profession or trade in Canada.
- Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
- taxable grant of $1,000/level of school
- (Red Seal trades –first two levels of school)
- Apprenticeship Completion Grant
- taxable grant of $2,000 (Red Seal trades)
- Apprenticeship Completion Bonus
- non-Red Seal trades - taxable grant of $2,000
- Loans for Tools
- interest free $300 to $800
- Tradesperson Tool Deduction
- Apprenticeship Scholarship
- A $1,000 scholarship for a person who returned to, and completed academic upgrading to qualify for registration as an apprentice.
There has been a number of changes to the Grants and Tax Credits. We are doing our best to stay current and accurate.