The Apprenticeship Advantage
- Apprentice's wage
- increases as the apprentice becomes more valuable to you
- Jouneyperson's time to train
- decreases as the apprentice becomes more competent
- Time to administer the training plan and confirm training documents
For employers new to hiring apprentices, setting up a program and figuring out what they need to do can be daunting. It doesn’t need to be. Our partner organizations have developed a number of resources for employers with information about everything from identifying supports to hiring and training an apprentice.
- Employer Toolkit - Canadian Apprenticeship Forum
- Essential Skills Tools - Canadian Apprenticeship Forum
- Human Resources Recruitment and Retention Guide for Employers - ApprenticeSearch.com
- Profit from Apprenticeship - Apprenticeship Network
- Mentor Training Program September 2014 (PDF) - Apprenticeship Network
Your Business Benefits
It makes your company more productive
A journeyperson you train internally will be more productive than one you hire from outside. As apprentices gain skills and knowledge, they also develop a thorough understanding of your business needs and how best to meet them.
Improves your product quality.
Through hands-on training and classroom instruction apprentices get to realy undertand their trade and its tools. The whole experience instills a sense of pride that can increase the overall standard of quality in the shop.
Enhances the skills of all your staff.
Jouneypersons who train apprentices will enhance their own skills. Classroom instruction gives apprentices the latest technology and bst practices to pass onto all staff. This skills development can inspire everyone to continually improve.
Reduces Employee Turnover
Studies show that employees who are trained properly tend to work for the same employer longer and take fewer sick days.
Makes you more profitable
Return on Training Investment (ROTI) research shows that employer costs in terms of apprentice wages, administration and journeyperson's time are more than offset by increased revenue from higher productivity, knowledge of the latest technology, higher customer satisfaction and the ability to take on more jobs.
Lets you plan a successful future
While others struggle to find skilled workers, you will have employees who are fully trained to industry standards AND understand the unique values of your workplace.